It is rocket science!

What a morning! Mr E's friend Steve Clancey came to visit this morning and he is a real life rocket scientist. 
He has worked for years helping to build rockets and planes!
We had an amazing discussion about planes, helicopters and rockets - Rūma Tahi was very keen to share all their prior knowledge and ask very clever questions.  Have a chat at home tonight and you may want to google the different planes to jog your memory 
- Spruce Goose (made out of wood), Osprey, Blackbird,  Gyroplane, Beluga (it carries other planes!). ummmm a Russian helicopter that could carry a bus!
Hmm that is all Miss A can remember for now.
I was impressed to learn that rockets can be used multiple times!


Dear Steve Clancey,
Thank you for teaching us about planes.
When I am bigger I want to learn some more. I hope you have a good journey would you like to come back to Tauranga?
From Tiria

Dear Mr Clancey

I’m interested in the black bird because it would be cool to make the fastest plane in the world . thank you for teaching us.
I hope you have a good trip home.
From Jacob



I like the Black Bird because it can travel fast.
Thank you for answering my questions. How long does it take to build a spaceship?
From Hunter


Dear Mr Clancey,
I enjoyed looking at the rockets. I liked the rockets the best.
From Lucan

Dear Mr Clancey
I liked learning about about rockets because they go in space. 
I think they're fast and cool. how long does it take to make a rocket ship ?
From Gabriella

Dear Mr Clancey
thank you for teaching us about rockets and planes.
I found it interesting and the biggest plane I know is the army plane.
I want to Learn about all of that stuff again so I can get used to it.
From Aurelia



Dear Mr Clancey
I liked the black helicopter and the black bird.
Thank you for teaching us about helicopter and Planes.
The Black One is the One I liked all of them because i
haven’t seen them in the whole entire world.
Thanks for teaching us about planes.
From Jah-Zia


Dear Steve Clancey thank you for answering all my questions.
I never knew all that information.
Have a nice flight to Christchurch.
with lots of love Elia.



Thank you for teaching us rocket science things.  I would really like you to come back.
I liked it when you taught us about it. It was really fun.
When I am older I might be a scientist. I am sure it will be fun.
From Daniel

I found it interesting that planes can hold lots of weight.
I know that planes don’t put fire on the floor.
Helicopters can hold bus sometimes.
From Pianika

Dear Mr Clancey,

I enjoyed learning about rocket science it was fun.
How Long does it take to make a rocket I want to learn about rockets again.
From Izzie


Dear Steve Clancey,
do you know that lots of air goes under the planes wings.
I didn’t know that some planes have no wings.I will learn more about planes.

Thank you
From Evelyn


Dear Mr Clancey
you know soooo much about rockets!
If you come back I’d like you to bring some materials to show us?
My mum has been on a plane before she loved it. My favourite one was the drone.
be happy at home.
we will miss you.
Bye bye from Ayla

Dear Steve Clancey,
I can not wait to learn more about rockets i thought that a rocket would just Blow up but it doesn’t.
I learnt that planes go very fast i want to learn more about planes.
I would like to go inside a helicopter and learn more about it.

from Sam

Dear Mr  Clancey
Thank you for teaching us about the rocket.
It was fun learning about  planes.
From Branden

Dear Mr Steve Clancey.
I liked Learning about planes and rocket. I learnt that a plane could fly around the world in 9 days.
I liked the black bird because it is the fastest plane in the world.
i am looking ford of learning more of planes and rockets an helicopters.
it was fun Learning about planes and rockets. I want to go in the black bird.
Have a good day.

from Riico

Dear Mr Clancey
I liked the jet plane because it is the best jet in the world because it is the fastest plane.
I hope you have a best journey.
From Calaye

Dear Mr Clancey
you  taught us about planes and helicopter and rocket .
The Osprey has a propeller it goes down when it is up when it wants to go up the
propeller is up again.
I like it because it’s propeller goes up and down.
From Tyrese

Comments

  1. Hey guys! Thanks so much for having me in your class on Monday. It was really great meeting you all, and I had a lot of fun talking with you guys about planes, helicopters and rockets. Thanks also for all the awesome questions, and especially for all the stuff you've written on this blog. I especially love all the cool pictures you guys have drawn.

    One question that a few of you asked was how long it takes to build a rocket. Its hard to say exactly how long, but usually there are two main parts: Part 1 is figuring out the design of the rocket (how big it will be, what to make it out of, how fast we want it to fly and other things like that) - that's the longest part and could take around 4 or 5 years. Part 2 is actually building it - usually the first one or two of a new design take a bit longer to figure out, but once the rocket company has got really good at it, they might be able to build a rocket in just 4 to 6 months.

    Ok - that's all from me. Thanks again for having me, and keep thinking about and drawing excellent planes, helicopters and rockets!!

    Steve Clancey

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment